Monday, May 04, 2009

They're back

I could cry. I can't sleep. And the nightmares are back. I can't even pee at night anymore. It's just too dam terrifying. It's as if THEY KNOW.

Who are the infamous "They" to whom i refer? THEY, of course, are my nemesis. My greatest and probably only genuine phobia. THEY are RAIN SPIDERS.



Now sure this one looks deceptively cute and malevolent at the same time, but that's coz I am too dam scared to have a pic of a real one on my blog... i'd never come back here.

Loyal followers will know that rain spiders made my life miserable for many many months while I lived on the farm - to read about those terrifying ordeals click here, here and here. Since I moved to Somerset West and into civilisation I thought I was safe. No spiders in the past 8 months. In fact no bugs at all. Sure we get burgled on a nice and regular bimonthly basis, but still. No spiders was always something to be grateful for, right? UNTIL NOW.

Last night we went to chat to our good friends, The German Nudists (Ja Mein!). They have a beautiful (and safe) house and have officially decided they are moving back to KZN at the end of next month so it seems we will be moving there. I am in love with their place - it is a beautiful place with wooden floors and a real family feel and a perfect spot for a nursery next to the main room. PHEW, relief.... until....

I got home and (PREDICTABLY) was about to hop into the bath (they always choose their moments, those bastards)and grabbed my towel from my cupboard and - LET OUT A PIERCING SCREAM and did the on-the-spot tap dance I always do when I get a big fright. There he was. Watching me with his freaky compound eyes. It was in part a good confirmation that it's time to move on, but sadly also a warning that I may never be truly safe from the evils of rain spiders *SHUDDER*

11 comments:

Ruby said...

oh noes!!! I feel your pain hun, i'm deathly afraid of any spiders...not just rainspiders.
*hugs* hope there won't be any in the new house!

Ookami Snow said...

Ug. The less spiders in the world the better.

Bruce Johnson said...

I have to live through this every time my wife finds a spider.....dosen't matter what kind it is.....all spiders are evil poisious villians to her.

Caz said...

they are downright evil bastards. Bruce I trust you save your damsel in distress?

Sass said...

Okay...I'm going to have to see what a rainspider looks like...

Only I'm afraid to do so, because even just a picture of a spider can give me nightmares...

Caz said...

Sass: don't do it lady, it's just not worth it!!

Tamara said...

We have so many of them in our house and garden that I've kind of got used to them. Doesn't mean I'm ok with touching them or anything though.

But they always seem to appear when we're having loads of guests over and dangle ominously from the veranda ceiling or such, just waiting to terrify my visitors. I'm pretty sure they have a cruel sense of humour.

Caz said...

SHUDDER!! their timing is eery!!

Ruby said...

Tam - Thank goodness it hasn't happened when I' there.....you'd be making funeral arrangements!

Mrs. Hall said...

yeah, I didn't believe you until I did a google image search for rain spiders.


HOLY FUCK!!!

yeah, i would scream and SHUDDER AND LEAP INTO ARMS AND curse and shudder . . .

and OMG THE POST ABOUT THE BABY SPIDERS!! HOLY GOD!!!

ok, ok, i am going to throw up.

good luck though, they know where you live!

Caz said...

I KNOW!!! They are bluddy TERRIFYING HEY???? Now you understnad my phobia. I swear i nearly went into premature labour when I saw it and jumped higher than i had in months!!