Tuesday, February 16, 2010

In loving memory of Phoebe

Yesterday the best dog this world has seen was put down. I am heart broken.

We got Phoebs when I was in high school. Every Sunday I took her to puppy training - she loved it. Pretty soon she became my dad's running partner. She'd stop to pee randomly (ussually, conveniently, on an uphill!) and they'd both enjoy the excuse for a quick break.

Phoebe was super intelligent. Her favourite place in the world was the beach. We couldn't say the word "beach" in the house unless we were about to take her, because she'd get completely excited and then you'd HAVE to take her. Once on the beach Phoebe would steal everyone's hearts. She would fetch a stick or a ball, but her favourite was a waterpolo ball which we'd kick for her. She would "herd" it back. Once I, or whoever had taken her, got a bit tired of this game and sat for a bit of a break, she'd simply deliver her ball to the next person who walked by and look on expectantly until they figured out the game.

She loved to swim and even on a miserable day if we went for a walk along the river she'd innocently drop her ball in the water and have a quick dip. If we threw her ball in the pool at home and it was out of reach of the sides, in she'd jump and herd it to the shallow end.

She usually lay with her front paws crossed.

Phoebe was very very patient with children and put up with quite a lot! At some point she managed to switch a game of fetch with my neice so that she was 'throwing' the ball and my neice was bringing it back to her.

Phoebe loved all of us - my parents, me, my brothers, everyone who met her fell in love right back, but without a doubt the person she adored more than anyone else in the world was my gran, Noon... and the feeling was completely mutual. They couldn't get enough of each other and each time my gran came to the house Phoebe would go beserk. They would play together for ages as my gran doted on her shamelessly "what a clever girl you are - black eyelashes on your black patch eye and white eyelashes on your white side"... and frequent exclamations of "oh I do love that dog!"

We regularly go to a house in Kei Mouth for holidays. The house has a deck with steps down onto the beach. I think for Phoebe this place was heaven on earth - most of the people she loved in one place and the beach RIGHT THERE. I think that she's somewhere like this now... back with Noon at last, waiting for us to arrive and throw the ball. I miss you girl.

14 comments:

Shayne said...

Losing a family pet is so so hard. SO many memories.

we are in Kei Mouth regularly too.

small small world.

AngelConradie said...

M deepest condolences on your loss Caz.

Anonymous said...

Caz - not sure it will mean much but, I am very sorry!

Anonymous said...

tears in my eyes :( I know exactly how hard it is. The only loss I have ever had to deal with is that of our dogs and it is really sad.

you know I read other peoples comments on other peoples posts where they say I got tears reading this and I think wtf morons, but this post really did give me tears in my eyes.

Anonymous said...

Wiping the tears too because it made me think of the wonderful dogs I grew up with that we also lost....it's sooo sad.

Quite amazing how these wonderful 4-legged creatures can creep into your heart and be such a big part of the family.

Thanks for a beautiful post!

Zee said...

Oh Caz.... I am so sorry for yur loss....

Anonymous said...

losing a family pet is sooooooo sad.
i will be very sad if my little friends die

Tamara said...

Sorry, Caz. So hard to lose a pet. I'm glad you have so many wonderful memories of Phoebe to hold onto.

Tamara said...

Sorry, Caz. So hard to lose a pet. I'm glad you have so many wonderful memories of Phoebe to hold onto.

JessGiggles said...

It is always so sad when a family pet passes away. But at least you have memories to keep Phoebe alive. *hugs*

Zee said...

Hey Caz....

Thanks for your comment on my blog...Really needed to put things into perspectives for all the lurkers that I suddenly seem to have....

Blue

k@lakly said...

So sorry about Pheobe. She sounded like the most amazing girl. I hope she has found her way home and is playing endless games of fetch near the water.
xxoo

Danny, Julie, Jack and Mari said...

Aren't animals such an amazing extension of family? I'm sorry you had to say goodbye to such a sweetie...again. Love and peace.

Bruce Johnson said...

She was a gorgeous dog....my condolenses.