Monday, October 05, 2009

What's going on?

So I wake up in the morning and I step outside and I take a deep breath and I get real high and I (pause) scream at the top of my lungs WHAT'S GOING ON??
(Or something like that)

Now that we'll all walk around with the 4 non blondes in our heads the whole day...

A friend of mine who was pregnant with me had her baby boy last monday. I got the standard sms telling of healthy mom and baby and proud dad. All was well.
Last night I heard that the next day the baby developed what turned out to be meningitis. He has been in ICU ever since.

I spoke to my friend today for ages. We cried together. Her baby is still alive. She still has hope, so that is something, but on the other hand she has to watch him suffer the worst physical pain.

My heart is breaking for her. At this stage the doctors have said that they can start being cautiously optimistic that he will make it but there's a high likelihood of some long term effects - deafness, blindness, learning disabilities, social impairment. For now they can only wait and see.

She had a perfect pregnancy just like me. We were those pregnant woman who did everything right. Not like all those smoking, coke drinking, non-exercising people that abound. We were caffeine free, alcohol free, nicotene free, balanced diets, supplement taking exercisers.

I can only imagine the sick feeling she must be carrying around all the time. What should have been the most exciting week of her life has become a nightmare - she was only allowed to hold him yesterday for the first time since tuesday. It is HORRIBLE.
I think it must be a bit like that moment (did I say moment? I meant 'eternity') when they were searching for Sophia Grace's heartbeat. That endless awful sickening dread. Honestly when I think of it I feel bile in my throat. For her it must be like that extended. The not knowing. The fear. The dread.

Thank God it looks like this little boy will live. Thank God there is still hope that he will be fine. Thank God my friend and her husband have a faith to cling to. I can not imagine surviving the loss of my daughter if I didn't believe in heaven. If I didn't know she was there and fine and not in any pain and that I will see her again, I would be destroyed.

Those of you who pray please pray for baby Luke. For his complete healing.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It's not fair" just really doesn't cut it anymore... I wish there was something else that better described these situations. I'm so sorry for your friend, I hope everything works out well

In With the Light said...

baby luke is in my prayers. thank you for lifting him up and being a great friend to his mommy. she needs you just as much as you need her.

Mel said...

oh dear God, nothing prepares us for this sort of pain and even longtime believers struggle to make sense of this. But God IS good and He hasnt lost the plot - baby Luke, his parents and you are in my prayers this evening.

btw - do you go to CG church?

Caz said...

Thanks guys

SM - nope. I live in Somerset West so I've gone through to CG to visit - love it - but am in NewGen in S West

Tamara said...

Will do. I'm glad God gave you to each other as friends to be support and pray.

Mel said...

Caz, ah okay. CG rocks - my whole fam goes there but I now live deep south so doesnt really work for moi at the mo.

Mel said...

Any news on Baby Luke?