Friday, March 05, 2010

Kernel: we're halfway there!

Today I hit the halfway mark - 18 weeks pregnant - in 18 weeks I will be induced (I'd like to add in a little disclaimer like "if all goes well" but bugger that. It's time to stop with the disclaimers, the constant fear, the provisos just in case.*)

In 18 weeks we will meet The Kernel face to face.

The sorting of the cupboard was difficult, but also good. It was difficult to decide what to keep for The Kernel, what to give away and what to treasure always as Sophia's. But it was also good. I never really got to sort through the majority of the stuff last time as we went to Plett days after the (3rd) baby shower. Much of the stuff was completely unfamiliar - don't remember it at all. In keeping with my sentiment in the paragraph above I went about ripping off tags, taking all manner of thermometers and bath mats and spoons etc etc out of their plastic packaging and placing them properly as if this cupboard is indeed going to be used for a baby (and quite soon too!). I did a big load of washing and will be packing everything in place. I'm not sure if it is the process or the timing of the process but I am starting to feel optimistic. Maybe, just maybe, it will all be fine and the Kernel will make her way into this world with a hearty cry! (hopefully hers, not mine!)

It was on the 18 week mark that I first felt Sophia's little kicks. I remember it so clearly. Lying on my back and two little taps. I sort of rubbed that spot and tap tap happened again. Hoping to feel The Kernel's movements soon.

7 comments:

Tamara said...

Great post, Caz. I love the optimisism creeping in and am looking forward to meeting The Kernel through many pics on this blog in just a few months time.

Cassey said...

Woo hoo for being half way :)

Shayne said...

Beautiful post and yes I agree that doing what you are is just what you should be doing. Very therapeutic and had you not experienced the terrible sadness that you did with Sophia, it is what you would be doing now.

so you go girl.

Anonymous said...

hey lady! just making my way to your blog from glow.

first, LOVE the photo of you and the hub. clearly, me and you are going to get along swell. a sense of humor goes a long way in book.

second, reading the term 'the kernel' seriously made me laugh out loud. i LOVE that pet name. so cute!

i'm so glad to have found you. looking forward to catching up on meeting the kernel within the next few weeks!

cheers,
julie

AngelConradie said...

I'm so proud of you!

phillygirl said...

Sounds like it was very therapeutic for you and I'm so happy to hear that you ripped those tags off and embraced the future :) Will be waiting to hear all about those kicks very soon ... I saw on twitter this weekend you thought you felt one, I'm sure you won't have much longer to wait till there's no doubt at all!

Anonymous said...

Its lovely to hear(as someone said above), the optimism and excitement that is coming out as you write now. So happeee that you have felt her.. makes ones heart smile! Ciao! Lisa.