Tuesday, January 20, 2009

An interview with ME

So my American blog buddy (would that make him a bluddy??) Bruce has sent me a list of interview questions... how exciting!

Here they are...

1) You live in South Africa, and many of the rest of us don't. For those that have never been, what would you say are the major differences, not so much physically, but culturally. What would Americans find odd and vicea-versa?

I think that SA is both very diverse and very conservative. The last time I was in the states I was kind of shocked by things like the youth swearing in their cellphone while sitting next to an old granny on a bus. Even a "skollie" (dodgy type person) here would, in my experience, have ingrained respect for their elders. I guess that's something in the African tradition as well. My gran was mugged once (she was mid-80s at the time)and she reprimanded the guy and he gave her stuff back. Another time, her wallet was snatched and then left outside her door the next day.
Now don't get me wrong, I love the States - esp New York City and ESP the bagels they sell there. INCREDIBLY GOOD for a carbs fan like myself!

2) Do South Africans see Barack Obama as the coming of the American Nelson Mandela?
ummmmmmm, i doubt it. I mean we are all inspired and whatever, but Madiba is Madiba and you don't get a second man who is made to spend his best years in prison for fighting Apartheid and then comes out and forgives everyone - even invites his jailer to tea - and preaches peace rather than revenge. Nah, we have dibs on Madiba magic in SA :)

3) The name of the boyfriend is 'The Band', which is totally confusing. Why do you call him that, what is the significance?

No no no. The Band is short for the husBAND.

4)In the end, when you are 80, do you want to be in the lap of luxury and able to give your children and your life long friends the benefit of your labors, or would you rather be poor and destitute, but with a lifetime of wonderful memories? Explain why.

The second, no question.
Luxury is great in small doses but I battle to relate to people who live in the lap of luxury. Especially in a country where you have people sleeping on the floor of tin shacks in the middle of winter probably just down the road from you. I'd rather have fun than big moolahs anyday! I think being really rich would be really lonely.

5) We should all have a list of things we want to accomplish in our lifetimes.....what is at the top of yours? What is at the bottom?
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Crikey, it changes all the time. I'd love to write a book. I'd love to travel Africa properly. I'd love to see the gorillas in Uganda.

2 comments:

Janine / Being Brazen said...

Nice post - enjoyed reading your answers

Bruce Johnson said...

Well, now I feel like a total idiot for not getting the whole "Band" thing.